Tuesday, September 25, 2007

Light Bulb Moment - Yearning

Thanks to the wonderful Lisa at Eudaemonia and her post on Yearning, I can see where A Cornish House is going! I can see where the conflict is coming from and I can see the resolution.

When I split the manuscript up it became very clear that it was both women's stories. The word count was a bit heavier on Madde's side but that probably balances a bit the strength of Serena character - she comes across without the need for as many words. I had written in the first draft chunks from Mark's point of view but it was small and I think the book will be stronger if the story just comes from these two although Mark's own personal story is important and follows the same yaerning in a way. I don't think it needs to come from his voice if that makes sense.

So thanks to Lisa I am very clear on what these two women yearn for and on the obstacles in front of the them. What I now need to look at closely is the other things I have woven in incompletely (like C.S. Harris said in a comment yesterday - "I particularly hate those spots I skipped for some reason and now have to fill in." - hah what was I thinking at the time ) There are two key parts of the story that I have left incomplete and I need to decide if they are really necessary to the story or a just a distraction from it.

In the interim of course I will continue to chip away at my terrible typos.......

7 comments:

Alyssa Goodnight said...

I could use a little 'yearning' learning--thanks for the link!

Glad things are all coming together.

Jan said...

I so admire your focused attitude. It's great, Liz.

Lane Mathias said...

I allowed myself a quick read through of what I'd written this morning. I wish I hadn't in a way because there's going to be alot of weaving and gap filling to be done. Ho hum:((
Glad your characters are yearning properly:))
x

Lisa said...

Liz, I'm so glad the post helped -- I'm sure it was all of the dialogue that followed in the comments that pulled it all together -- I got some great insights from everyone who stopped by!

Fiona Mackenzie. Writer said...

Great link. It makes so much sense - of course we are all yearning for something.

i know what you mean about filling in gaps. I've written lots of notes in shorthand - which I now can't make head nor tail of. I was a lousy secretary so why I do that, I don't know :(

Therese said...

Liz, glad to see things are settling down and you're gaining insights and making progress with A Cornish House!

Unknown said...

Thanks Alyssa...it is coming together now to make it stronger :-)

I have focus Jan? Must be because I am short sighted!

Lane just keep writing and finish the first draft....woryy about holes later...


Lisa the post and the comments helped. it really turned the light bulb on. Thanks.

Fiona, I'm impressed you can do shorthand let alone read it and I am so pleased you enjoyed the link :-)

Yes, Therese, I am beginning to see how I can pull a ACH into what I feel it should be....