Friday, May 11, 2007

Novel Racer - Kate Harrison




Kate is a founder of the Novel Racers along with Lucy Diamond and also a multi published author who sits in my staggering tbr pile. Her latest book The Self Preservation Society is out this month. Here's Kate in her own words:






"I’ve always been a writer – but until about six years ago, my writing was mainly confined to scribbling notes from my beach-towel while I was on holiday. My day job, and studying for an Open University degree, left very little time for fiction.

Then one Christmas, rather underwhelmed at the prospect of yet another re-run of Only Fools and Horses, I had a story idea about a school reunion – and, in particular, a reunion of people who all have very conflicting memories of their school days…I wrote in between Christmas crackers and sherry, and soon had a few chapters under my belt. I finished that first draft in just over three months – was very pleased with myself! Though in retrospect I now realise that doing the first draft is only the first stage in a very long process…


That book became Old School Ties and since then I’ve had two more published, and my fourth novel, The Self-Preservation Society, is out this month. I’m more nervous about this one because it deals with a theme which is very personal to me: fear. I’ve always been a real scaredycat – and I know it can hold you back in all sorts of ways. I think being published and, in the last year, achieving my dream of becoming a full-time writer, has definitely helped me become a little braver.



I’ve just finished my fifth book, and this one is a bit of a departure for me as it’s a real Sex in the City style comedy (my other novels are more thirtysomething focused). And once the edits for that are done, I will begin my sixth, which I have to write by the end of the year. As a former journalist, I need deadlines, though I slightly scared by the ones I’ve set myself. Wouldn’t swap this life for the world, though. How amazing to get paid to make up stories. I’m still pinching myself!


I’ve just finished my fifth book, and this one is a bit of a departure for me as it’s a real Sex in the City style comedy (my other novels are more thirtysomething focused). And once the edits for that are done, I will begin my sixth, which I have to write by the end of the year. As a former journalist, I need deadlines, though I slightly scared by the ones I’ve set myself. Wouldn’t swap this life for the world, though. How amazing to get paid to make up stories. I’m still pinching myself!"


Thank you Kate and Lucy for their foresight to set up the Novel Racers. it has made writing this year a more pleasurable and less lonely experience.

Today is confirmation day. It's early. I'm cooking and cleaning. Just hope I remember to enjoy the day!

9 comments:

Zinnia Cyclamen said...

I echo your thanks to Kate and Lucy. And I'm loving reading these profiles. Hope today goes really well for you.

Kate.Kingsley said...

Lovely to read Kate's profile ~ I am just reading "Old School Ties", and it is reminding me that grils like Tracey were the bane of my life at school ~ I've never been one of the "cool kids", but in retrospect I think thats a blessing ~ if you've never been cool you never have to worry about becoming uncool!

Thanks again for hosting the profiles, Liz, its an inspired idea. I hope your day is wonderful,
best wishes
Kate

Jessica Raymond said...

Confirmation day?

By the way, I've tagged you for an "Eight Things About Me" list. Sorry!

Jess x

Jan said...

Thanks for all this, Liz.
It's really interesting and SUCH a great mixture of women!

Unknown said...

I'm enjoying the profiles as much as eveyone. I love how the racers are so diverse.

Yesterday was great but I'm shattered. Jess, a confirmation is when in the Catholic or Anglican church you accept your faith as an adult :-)

Jessica Raymond said...

Ah, I thought it might be. But then I thought it might be something to do with receiving a confirmation about where you're off to next! (Do you know yet?)

Jess x

Unknown said...

No Jess I don't know and I am trying not to pull my hair out!!!

Rose Red Art said...

I'm loving the profiles too! I love getting to know everyone better!

Hope you had a great day!

Jenny Beattie said...

It's great to see Kate's profile up. I spent a long time lurking on her blog before eventually emailing to join the novel racers.

I had a quick look for the new book in Bangkok this weekend. I know they stock Kate's earlier books, but I couldn't see it yet.

Very glad to hear your busy weekend went well, Liz.

JJ