Tuesday, May 01, 2012

Debs Carr - One Thing I've Learnt


One Thing I’ve Learnt… is that if I’m going to spend hours writing every day, I need to be happy in my writing space.

I can write anywhere, but my favourite place to write is in my shed where I’m surrounded by pieces that I’ve collected over the years. I can look at my photos, maps, and odd treasures for inspiration. Needless to say, there are shelves of How To… books, Writers’ & Artists’ Year books, notepads containing characteristics, plot lines, ideas and titles, as well as piles of manuscripts that really should be thrown away.

I have two vintage, pink, Lloyd Loom chairs, one for me and one for my ever-present Miniature Schnauzer. My desk is a 1950s table and the floor is covered with three mismatched rugs that had been relegated to the loft. The windowsill is covered with driftwood, pieces of coloured glass, shells and oddly shaped pebbles from the nearby beaches where I walk my dog and the view changes each season as the pine tree and palm trees grow outside on the lawn.

In fact, it’s not only comfortable, but inspiring too. Maybe that’s another thing I’ve learnt that the space needs to inspire in some way.


13 comments:

Deborah Carr (Debs) said...

Ooh look, it's me! Thanks for inviting me her Liz.

Unknown said...

It's a pleasure. I want your shed...am so jealous of your special writing space - maybe one day...
lx

Rebecca Leith said...

Debs, your shed sounds wonderful. I'm very jealous I don't have a place like that to write in.

Chris Stovell said...

Aw, how lovely to see Debs here and to read about the 'shed' (always seems too basic a word for Deb's writing space), and that's such a beautiful photo too.

Kath said...

Great idea to have your own dedicated writing space - it helps me to take my writing seriously, even if the rest of the family hasn't got there yet! - and your shed sounds amazing, Debs. Love how you've made it your own and that it's a place for all your mementoes and I especially like the sound of being close enough to a beach to collect driftwood, shells and pebbles.

karen said...

Your shed sounds really inspiring, Debs :o)

I seem to write better in cafes for some reason, despite having a desk and computer in our lovely front room which looks out on the garden!

RachTroy said...

Debs I wish I had a shed like yours but I think I would lock myself in and never come out! Unfortunately the only little she I have is to store mothers belongings...

Kirsty said...

I love that shed! How inspiring to have such a beautiful place to work. xx

Nell Dixon said...

I'm always jealous of your shed, Debs.

Deborah Carr (Debs) said...

Thank you ladies. The shed is also somewhere were I can keep all my writing paraphernalia, although it's quite untidy most of the time.

Alexandra Brown said...

Sounds dreamy. Would love to see a picture x

Unknown said...

Thanks Debs for sharing and creating envy - in the nicest of ways!!!

lx

Susie Vereker said...

I always enjoy both Deb's blog and Liz's. Good to have the opportunity to comment on both. Very best of luck with your book, Liz. You deserve it.