Tuesday, May 08, 2012

Eileen Ramsay - One Thing I've Learnt


In all these years I should have learned something!

One can learn a great deal about being a decent human being by living with a dog. Dogs hold no grudges.  They are unbelievably patient – I say this as I watch our baby granddaughter launch herself across our Chocolate Labrador as he obligingly lies motionless.  A dog’s love is total and his sense of duty unparalleled.  When the family is gathered or we have guests in the house, Dougal will not rest for the night until he has checked every bedroom – sometimes to the consternation of its occupants.

Here he is taking me out for a walk in the snow, and yes, I still have a lot to learn from him.


6 comments:

Lesley Cookman said...

Lovely picture, Eileen. Thanks, Liz. x

montyandrosie said...

So true, Eileen! Reminds me of that quote: "No matter how little money and how few possessions you own, having a dog makes you rich."
-- Louis Sabin

High-paw to Dougal from Jeff-Dog, and hugs from me to you. (And to you, Liz, too!)

Jenny Haddon said...

So very true,Eileen. I used to live with a black lab who was a nutcase most of the time but turned into a complete blackboard monitor if there were people staying. He even looked worried, as he rushed round the cottage, rounding them up. With the best possible motives. of course.

Made me smile to remember him. He was nicer person than I am.

Victoria Connelly said...

I totally agree with you! We adore our rescue spaniel. She's so sweet and gets me away from the desk twice a day come rain or shine which IS a good thing! Love her to bits.

Janice said...

Hi Liz and Eileen! I so enjoyed your post. I read it while my two lovely Westies, Polly & Ruby, lay snoozing on the sofa either side of me and my laptop.

Great photo!

Unknown said...

lesley - it is a lovely picture of Eileen!

Lovely quote Susan :-)

Aw Jenny!

Victoria - she sounds like a true friend :-)

Glad you enjoyed it janice and lucky you to have Polly and Ruby!

Lx