Saturday, May 05, 2012

Nell Dixon - One Thing I've Learnt


One thing I've learnt.
 
I lead a busy life. I have three teenage daughters, a husband who works shifts and has a chronic debillitating illness. I myself am semi-disabled thanks to a dodgy left hip and chronic osteo arthritis. I work for a disabled peoples charity and do voluntary work within my community in addition to my writing.
So what I've learnt is that in order to keep doing all the things I love to do and need to do - care for my family, friends and neighbours, be a good employee and write my books, I have to take care of me. Sometimes that means being a bit selfish and difficult though it is I am trying to learn to say 'NO'. (Although that one is a bit tough)
Mr Nell, my dh makes me take time out and one of the ways we do that is by going away for a few days in our touring caravan. Quite often we don't go far or for very long but it gives us time to breathe. My favourite places are my beloved Wales or down to Devon and Cornwall.
Sometimes, too it ends up being good research for a book! (But don't tell Mr Nell!)

2 comments:

Liz Harris said...

I take my metaphorical hat off to you, Nell. An inspiring interview.

Liz X

Rebecca Leith said...

You are an inspiration to all of us.

B xx