Tuesday, April 28, 2009

Weddings continued....









So yesterday I spoke of the bride - today the groom. Most of his preparation was of a different sort. He had to master saying his vows in Japanese and do it well enough not to make the bride burst out in hysterical laughter! So while she was transforming from woman to bride he was struggling with a sheet of a phonetic approximation of the vows. Help did arrive....in the form of Yumi's best friend Yu and his parents (btw a huge thank you to Yu for some of his photos).




Mark's kimono was far less grand than Yumi's but the transformation was still great. Judging by the number of photos both Dh and I took we were most fascinated by his socks which were the first items to go on! The other thing that struck me was that skirt like garment that went over the first few layers reminded me of the fabric frequently used in the trousers of a morning suit.




Finally, here is another picture of the shoes/sandals of the bride and groom. I just love they way they are placed together facing out into the world as if from this point it is a joint journey - the solo one has finished. I am not sure if that was the intention but that is what I felt.


















Tomorrow - the ceremony...



1 comment:

cs harris said...

What a wonderful opportunity to be able to witness this. I hope you took lots of notes--it would make a great scene in a book. People like to feel as if they're learning something when they read.