Saturday, April 04, 2009

Refreshed


I have begun writing new words on the wip - a few thousand but I have also deleted as many! I had go back a bit in the sotry and read to find out where I was and what my characters had been up to which meant that going against my write straight through the first draft had to go by the board a bit as huge clunky phrase and the like just knocked me over! So hopefully tomorrow I can report that I will be over 30k :-)









































































































































































































We have had a visitor this week which is always fun and does move one off one's backside. In this case it sent us out into the desert yesterday. We went with very low and cautious expectations as the forecast was crap (and having seen what some heavy rains of late had done to some roads the caution is well heeded). The mood in the car, if it could be gauged in between the heavy metal riffs and the looming clouds, was glum.
However we were rewarded with a clearing sky and ventured on main roads towards Wadi Ray. With eyes ever heavenward we cautiously explored. The teens rock climbed and fought the flies for the their lunch.

It was a brilliant day out and I returned refreshed having moved away from the craziness that is the city to the quiet sides of Dubai that I love. Too often people think Dubai is all beach and glitz. It is a place that is multi dimensional and filled with real people living real lives - not just the expats but the local population who were out in droves yesterday enjoy the cool weather and water filled wadis.

8 comments:

Tamsyn Murray said...

Great pictures and well done on the WIP - looking forward to hearing you've hit 30,000

Sue Guiney said...

These are great photos, Liz. And you're right..I certainly always thought Dubai was just about glitz and ex-pat shopping. I had no idea.....Thanks.

HelenMWalters said...

Great photos. Some of those roads have got serious problems haven't they? Well done on the words and progress as well.

Deborah Carr (Debs) said...

Incredible pictures. Glad you had a great time.

I'll never moan about our roads again!

B.E. Sanderson said...

Hooray for new words! Good work. And thanks for the pictures of a place I'm not likely to ever see in person. Some of those shots are amazing.

Liane Spicer said...

Lovely photos!

Pat Posner said...

Well done on the new words!
The pictures are great, too.

Unknown said...

I think after the who ha that emerged over the Literary Fest. it has become my goal to show the different and I think more interesting sides to life here in Dubai. Don't get me wrong - I love the glitz and glamour but I also love the 'real' Dubai with all its sand and spice :-)

The words are slowly toting up too - almost back up to 30K :-)