Tuesday, July 31, 2007

Finished Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows

I won't post any spoilers here in case others were as slow as me and haven't finished but I have to say I loved it. I loved it for many reason but the most was reading in tandem with my eldest ds who is dyslexic. Two years ago when the last book was out we read the book together - I read ten pages he read two. It was a wonderful experience that we both treasure. This year after the opening chapter he took and the read the book himself while I read his brother's copy. He didn't need me any more but still wanted to discuss everything in great detail. Last night after dinner and we sat at the table and discussed the best bits for each one of us and it was brilliant. At times like this I thank God for ds1's perseverance and not giving up on reading because it was so bloody hard. Somehow along the way he found the strength to keep going and loves books now and knows their joy. HP was a joy and even more so to share with him. So a huge thank you to JK.

4 comments:

cs harris said...

I also give Harry the credit for my youngest daughter's intense love of reading. Since she's hearing impaired (and we didn't know it when she was younger), her reading got off to a rocky start. But once she fell in love with Harry Potter, she went on to become the kind of reader I was as a kid, forever buried in a book. As for me, well...I watch the movies.

Unknown said...

JKR has done wonders for reviving kids reading. I have enjoyed the last two tremendously but less so the earlier ones. I'm pleased your daughter is hooked :-)

Jan Jones said...

Liz, that's just lovely.

Oh, and we've all enjoyed HP7 as well. I do love a proper finish.

Unknown said...

That's just what my ds1 said. He loved the proper finish :-)