Thursday, April 19, 2007

Wise Words

"There is nothing more challenging, to my mind, than grabbing a stranger and making him or her feel things with nothing more than the alphabet. To take someone on a ride with such meager tools is an accomplishment indeed, and I salute all of the writers who have taken me on such journeys. "

This wonderful insight is from Maht at http://moontopples.blogspot.com/. He is a fellow novel racer and as I read these words yesterday I thought wow that is exactly what I am trying to do but never thought of it in quite that way. It also made me think of all the books that have swept me away so that I forgot all their components and became lost in a new world.......

So I am writing today. I haven't started yet. I was doing my warming up of scanning blogs when I hopped over to Therese's blog http://theresefowler.blogspot.com/. She is talking openly and honestly about the climb to be a writer but not just a writer but a best selling one. Her insights were brilliant and the discussion of the craft portion of the entry hit home. It was about upping the stakes. So near the end of A Cornish House I am now thinking about how I can up the stakes. Take the story from good to hot.........but of course I must finish it first. Off to open word :-)

9 comments:

NoviceNovelist said...

Liz your word count is fantastic. I look foreard to hearing your cheers when you hit the finish line. I'm going to have a peek at the blogs you mentioned before knucking down to my own writing. Have a great writing day!

Unknown said...

Thanks. The word count hasn't moved yet today. I need to set my twenty minute timer and get cracking!

The blogs are great reading :-)

Jan said...

Just having a wander round and bumped into your Blog which is writery and interesting and so thought I would say " Hello" ...SO "Hello Liz Fenwick"
YOu sound as if you're near the end of a novel. Hope it goes well.

Unknown said...

Hi Jan. Thanks for dropping by. Yes, the end of the novel is nigh....if I could just get on with it!!!!

Jan said...

Yep! I know exactly what you mean!
THanks for visiting me.
It was good to see you!

The Moon Topples said...

Liz: I am currently constructing elaborate devices to delay your finish. This is a race, after all.

OK, not really.

Thanks for the mention. You've summed up pretty much what I meant when I wrote that, and it's always heartening to find other souls who have been thunderstruck in such a manner.

Unknown said...

Maht, the rush to the end is on and nothing bar death can stop the the flow to that ultimate point!!!! I with the help of God expext to type THE END today.......

I keep rereading your words and each time it strikes me how very true and so beautifully put.

Jan, I am sorry you are stuck in that procrastenating not going anywhere phase. I finally pushed through it yesterday to write 2000 words......so lets hope for today :-)

Helen said...

Just read your post on Kate's blog and hear you've finished the first draft of your novel - Congratulations!!

Unknown said...

Thanks helen. i am so releaved and dancing on a happiness cloud. Now I need to read tha damn thing start to finish. Aside from the first two pages I haven't read it - frightening really!!!!