Thursday, May 16, 2013

When Holly Hepburn ran Away...

Here's Holly's story....


The first time I ran away, I was seven years old. The exact reason for packing my bags and leaving home forever is lost in the mists of time but I expect it involved my parents being grossly unfair over something that completely was not my fault. I mean, it always does when you're seven, right?

Anyway, I gathered the essentials - a saucepan, some matches, the only tin opener, some Heinz cream of tomato soup, a bowl, a spoon and my bendy legged Sindy doll - and packed them into my Strawberry Shortcake tote bag. Then, having scrawled a suitably dramatic note, I left home.

We lived at the time in a small village on the Scottish border, the kind of place where everyone knew everything you did, and the village policeman was called Andy Apple, which these days sounds like a character from a Fruit Shoot advert. The bus out of the village ran once an hour so I made my getaway on foot and holed up among some trees by the banks of the River Tweed. Then, having been living in the wild for a good thirty minutes, I got peckish and lit a fire (I blame a kids' TV show called Captain Caveman for the knowledge of how to do this, or possibly Why Don't You?), opened up my tin of soup and started to heat it. So far, so good - I was like Robinson Crusoe, at one with nature and convinced I could live on my own indefinitely. Then it all went a bit wrong; I heard someone coming and, in a panic, tried to douse the flames with some sand. Only in the rush, I doused the soup as well. Then I peered out to see who had come to hunt me down. It was a sheep.

I stuck it out for another twenty minutes before hunger (and a complete disillusionment with the nomadic lifestyle) drove me home with my tail between my legs. And the worst of it was, no one had even noticed I'd gone. They noticed the missing tin opener all right, though; I'd buried all the evidence in my hiding place before I slunk home. It's probably still there, actually...

You can but Holly's latest book here....

Cupidity

What if Cupid fell out of love with love?
 
Cupid is exhausted. Modern day matchmaking is tough – people are busy, their hearts are harder to hit and he’s had enough of wall-to-wall romance. And St Valentine has noticed…
 
Annelise is a Lost Cause. She runs a dating agency but her heart is colder than a penguin’s feet. She thinks love is about compatibility and has no time for passion.
 
Can Cupid prove to St Valentine that he hasn’t lost his touch by melting Annelise’s heart? Or is it curtains for Cupid?

You and find out more about Holly here.

No comments: