Sunday, November 14, 2010

NaNoWriMo Progress and Travel Again

There is a bounce in my step...this year I'm on target and in fact ahead - just a tiny bit, on NaNoWriMo, which is so different from my experience last year. In the far reaches of my brain I have wondered why...because I do things like that, silly I know. I have come to the conclusion because I have let go. I have shut the inner editor firmly off and I'm writing pure fantasy because I know nothing of the thriller world or genre. It might be classified as a women's fiction thriller but of course there is no such thing. It is not like my previous venture into the thriller world with the experimental Dickens Challenge piece EXPLOSIVE DREAMS which was chick lit meets thriller. It is a wholly different beast and pure fun to write.

I began on the first of November fully expecting THE SUMMER OF THE BLACK HARE to fall in line with previous work - the work that has been growing into my voice for the past few years but no. I have discovered that when I try first person my voice morphs into a different mode. It wants to take risks and experience things differently. It still explores some dark things, but it is more playful as maybe when using 'I' a lightness from me must slip in - a touch of irreverence.

This is a good thing to learn as I have said here before AUGUST ROCK needs to be in first person so when I make that transition I will be aware of the consequences....for August Rock is not meant to be a thriller but it may become more shall we shall Gothic for lack of a better term...

In the meanwhile I'm cracking on with TSOTBH and enjoying every moment of it - because if I'm not I just move on - such freedom is bliss. I am also aware the title does not fit the book any more, but I doubt this book will ever see the light of day so it doesn't matter and I can write one in third person which will.... (Funny how one knows instinctively that the title doesn't fit - may explore this thought more another time)

On Tuesday I fly back to the UK again in time for the RNA Winter Party....oh the joy and the agony of what to pack and wear....maybe it's a bit like what to call a book....

Are you a 'try everything on in the cupboard sort of person' - or do you know without even looking what to wear -or what to title to call a book -or even what to write??????

8 comments:

Kate Lord Brown said...

Have a great trip Liz - my RNA membership card has finally made it throught the Qat*r postal system, but won't be at the party this year! Keep going with NaNo ... find this mid point like typing with mittens on.

Anonymous said...

As for my wardrobe I can take a month planning an outfit for an up and coming party! As for titles, plots and character I tend to get to know them all inside my mind before they appear on paper!
Interesting post keep up the good work for NaNoWriMo. Had to hold back due to family crisis (but still writing under the duvet when all is asleep!) X

Unknown said...

Kate LB- same about the winter party but plan for the summer one. Are you doing nanowrimo?

Kate C - you are much better than I am then - pre party at most a week and for a book mostly never but aside from nano I am trying to change and plan more. Good luck with writing under the sheets :-)

lx

Linda said...

Hi Liz

Congrats on doing so well with NaNO. I must admit I'm finding it a bit difficult this year - I think I've been week two'd. I love Kate's reference to the typing with mittens on. The last few days have been exactly like that for me - an uphill struggle in a clapped out car! But at last I've reached the halfway point and hope that I will be able to coast down the hill - or at least go a bit faster.

Enjoy the party - reading your blog they sound like fun. I'm hoping to join the New Writer's scheme this year, you never know, I might even use this WIP. Just have to get my finger on the button at the beginning of Jan so that I don't miss the boat.

Linda

Frances Garrood said...

I don't know anything (much) about NaNo - what do you all do with your novels when finished? Is there a prize for the best?

I love your title, Liz, and I don't think it matters a jot if it doesn't fit the book. Lots of titles have little to do with their subjects, but are (I suspect) mainly to attract attention, which yours certainly does.

Unknown said...

Linda - hope now that you've passed the mid poit the 'mittens' are off :-) Word to the wise..get your application for NWS in prompt. It's in great demand ...

Francis - don't know about the others doing nano but i put them aside for a while then hit the revision trail to make them into something worth while. Not sure if that will be possible with this years but i am having funny. *Interesting point to the titles though...

lx

Linda said...

Liz,

Thanks for the advice.

Can you put your application in before the start of January?

Linda

Unknown said...

Linda - no you can't but have it ready to go the first day it appears on the website around 1/1...don't procrastinate. It was full by tenth this year!
lx