Monday, August 08, 2011

Edits and Cornish Research

On Friday evening I pressed the send button on the edits! I know I will have more to come, but for now they have gone. YAY!!!!

While I was doing them I did manage to do a bit of research...one piece for THE CORNISH HOUSE and the other for AUGUST ROCK and we did it on the first of August which is appropriate for AUGUST ROCK....







On the first August with the spring tides it was perfect for exploring coves along the Helford River that are rarely accessible and one of these coves is used in a new scene in THC. The first draft of the scene I had written from memory but I need to verify my facts....




As you can see from the photos the tide was way out - a spring tide. It is during tides like this that August Rock becomes visible above the water of Falmouth Bay. Normally the reef is hidden and only the green buoy alerts the mariner of the peril at hand. 
I have several scenes in AR, in the water around the reef. Therefore I had to know what it was like. So I volunteered DS1 who is an experienced scuba diver to jump overboard, snorkel around it for me and take pictures. The day wasn't ideal for photography because it was overcast and the conditions were not those I was writing about, but it was better then no idea at all.
To say that we were all a little bit uncomfortable about anchoring our boat so close and chucking DS1 out of the boat was an understatement. It was a good exercise in 'how would my character feel' - dry mouth, heart racing, sweaty palms and excitement. I experienced them all while I watched him fight the current and paddle about.





5 comments:

Flowerpot said...

Ah yes Mollie and I know that area very well! How was the meeting last week Liz? So sorry I couldn't make it x

Liz Harris said...

What a lovely setting for your books, Liz. I'm not surprised that you are so inspired by the scenery around you.

Liz X

The Time Sculptor said...

August Rock is a great title, and how intriguing these photos are! I do admire this level of devotion to your research :-)
Jane Gray

Frances Garrood said...

What gorgeous photos!

Unknown said...

Jane and Francis - thanks